With this tropical weather I’m craving tropical food. This simple and refreshing combo is prepared quickly and requires no fussing at all. And as the satés are BBQ, no need to fire up the oven and warm up the house further.
Green papaya salad and smoked tofu satés with peanut dipping sauce
- 2 packs of smoked tofu, cut lengthwise in 1 cm thick slices
For the marinade
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) kecap manis
- 30 ml (2 tbs) soy sauce
- 30 ml (2 tbs) fresh lemon juice
- 30 ml (2 tbs) vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass, trimmed, smashed and cut into pieces
- 15 ml (1 tbs) fresh ginger, grated
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground turmeric
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground coriander
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the sauce
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) crunchy natural peanut butter
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) unsweetened coconut milk
- 60 ml (2 tbs) light brown sugar
- Pinch cayenne
12 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for at least 20 minutes
- Combine all the marinade ingredients.
- Arrange the tofu slices in a single layer in a large and shallow dish, cover with the marinade and refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hres.
- Remove the tofu from the marinade and thread the slices on bamboo skewers.
- Grill over hot coals until golden brown, turning once.
- While the satés cooks, put the sauce ingredients in a small sauce pan and warm gently stirring to combine well.
- Let the satés cool slightly and serve them with the peanut sauce for dipping.
Green papaya salad
- 1 liter (4 cups) green papaya, shredded
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 15 green beans, cut in 2 cm pieces
- 2 Thai chili peppers, finely chopped
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) vegan nước chấm
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- juice of 1 ½ lime
- 45 ml (3 tbs) palm sugar
- 60 ml (4 tbs) toasted peanuts, chopped
- Peel and shred the papaya using a grater with medium to large sized holes. Reserve.
- In a large bowl, combine chili peppers, vegan nước chấm, garlic, lime juice and palm sugar and mix until sugar is dissolved.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, green beans and green papaya and mix well.
- Top with peanuts and serve.