The perfect quick and easy soup to warm you up. Unlike other legumes, lentils cook super fast and do not require pre-soaking, so you can whip up a batch for lunch in minutes.
Prepping the ingredients
- 2 L (8 cups) mild vegetable stock, preferably homemade
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 500 ml (2 cups) masoor lentils
- 2-3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 ml (¼ tsp) turmeric
- 5 garlic cloves
- 10 black peppercorns
- 2.5 cm (1 inch) piece of fresh ginger
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) mandarin orange zest
- 60 ml (¼ cup) mandarin orange juice
- salt to taste
- fresh coriander, chopped for garnish (optional)
Rinse lentils thoroughly until water runs clear. In a large pot, bring the stock to a boil. Add onion, lentils, lime leaves, turmeric, garlic and pepper and bring to a boil. Turn heat to medium-low and simmer until lentils are cooked (about 25 mins). Add ginger and mandarin orange zest and process with an immersion blender until smooth. Simmer 5 more minutes. Adjust salt to taste, add mandarin orange juice, stir well and serve.